|Merrick Fresh Kisses||Pedigree Dentastix Fresh Bites||Greenies Original|
|Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon||Buy on Amazon|
Many people believe that these types of treats are just like any other, or they just freshen a dog’s breath, but dental dog treats are important to a pup’s oral health and overall diet for many reasons, including fresh breath. The various brands of treats are made to do the same things, but the ingredients vary widely from brand to brand, so the ultimate challenge for a pet parent is to identify key ingredients that are both good, and bad for Rover.
What are Dental Dog Treats?
The ingredients tell the story. You are going to find some sort of starch, a glycerin, powdered cellulose, plant extracts, yeast, and a form of calcium in almost all dental treats. There are plenty of other ingredients that brands use, some brands even include artificial, toxic ingredients in their recipe.
Treats are made in a factory, just like any other packaged food, and the companies that produce them are regulated by the rules of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). They ensure that the ingredients list is truthfully labeled, and they also regulate the claims brands make, such as “reduces shedding“, or “promoted healthy teeth and gums”, etc. These brands must provide proper evidence to the FDA that their product does exactly what they claim, so you can be sure that the product labeling is very close to accurate. Make sure you carefully monitor what your dog eats.
Best Dental Treats For Dogs
These four dental dog treat brands are the best on the market. These reviews will give you the knowledge to ensure you are giving your dog the right treats.
This brand is at the top of the list because it took the movement that brought these industry manufacturers to take the path towards all-natural ingredients to a whole new level. They do innovative research as to what works for dogs to have the healthiest diet possible. These treats are offered in 12 different packaging sizes, and 5 treat sizes. They are made in the US, and uniquely shaped to have the likeness of a brush on either end of the treat, with a ridged twisting motion in the middle that works to take as much plaque and bad bacteria off the teeth and gums as possible. The ingredients list contains coconut, sunflower, peppermint, lemongrass, and rosemary oils, and still manages to obtain a good amount of protein and other vitamins and minerals that are great for your dog’s overall health.
- All-natural ingredients unique to the Merrick brand
- Contains ingredients that help with many areas of a dog’s health
- Exceptional level of nutrition
- Great value
- Unique ‘double brush’ shape cleans teeth and gums better
- More options for packaging and treat size than any other brand
- Flavor options available
- Made in US, no ingredients from China
- Works extremely well to freshen breath
- Greatly improves a dog’s oral health
- High in protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and good fat
- These treats are quite expensive (some products are double the price of others)
- While the shape of the treat is effective, only two are offered throughout the entire brand
- Lacks available flavor options
Merrick Fresh Kisses Price
- Coconut + Botanical Oils – X-Small – 20 Count: $8.41
- Coconut + Botanical Oils – Medium – 22 Count: $25.44
- Coconut + Botanical Oils – Large – 16 Count: $25.37
- Mint Breath Strips – X-Small 20 Count: Check on Amazon
- Mint Breath Strips – Medium 22 Count: $25.47
- Mint Breath Strips – Large 16 Count: $25.44
It is obvious, Merrick has quickly stepped up in the industry to provide a very healthy treat that improves oral health and the overall diet with it’s unique blend of ingredients you can’t find elsewhere.
Pedigree is a very well-known and reputable company that has been making dog food and treats for decades. They are a top brand in the industry for a reason: they make great products for an affordable price. The treats are mint flavored, have a chewy texture, and has ingredients specifically formulated to help fight bad bacteria and plaque on the gums and teeth. Fresh breath is just a treat away when using this brand.
- Very affordable without sacrifice to quality
- Great for daily dental hygiene routines
- Works very well to freshen breath
- Mint flavored
- Quality ingredients list that truly fights plaque and bad bacteria in the mouth
- Very easy to digest
- Chewy texture helps clean the teeth and gums better
- Many options available for different treat and packaging sizes
- This brand only offers one shape
- Cannot claim all-natural
- Has more artificial ingredients than other brands
Dentastix Fresh Bites Prices
This brand has been leading the pack in dental treat manufacturers for a long time. They do make some pretty incredible products that dogs love. Pet parents love them too, because of their high value, options for packaging and size of treats, a good ingredient list, and the availability of the brand. The treats have a chewy quality, so they work better to clean off bacteria and plague on the gums and teeth than other treats that are crunchier do. A great number of vitamins, minerals, and protein can be found in every Greenies treat, along with other great, natural ingredients that are all very healthy for your dog’s everyday diet.
- Proudly made in the US
- Works well to freshen breath
- High in vitamins, minerals, and protein
- Options available to serve any dog
- Chewy treats clean more plaque and bacteria from the gums and teeth
- Great for everyday diets
- Every dog loves the taste
- Good value
- More expensive than other brands
- Doesn’t offer unique shapes or mixed ingredient treats
- Cannot claim all-natural
Greenies Original Pricing
- Petite (15-25 lbs) 36 oz. Box: $33.99
- Regular (25-50 lbs) 36 oz. Box: $33.99
- Regular (50-100 lbs) 36 oz. Box: $33.99
Overall, the Greenies brand has a solid reputation for providing exceptional dog treat in hopes of better health for every dog. While they are a bit pricey, they are worth buying, just ask the millions of pet parents who stand by Greenies.
Honorable Mention: Whimzees All-Natural Grain-Free Dental Dog Treats Review
Last up is Whimzees, which makes all kinds of products for dogs, like toys, chews, and treats. They are a well-respected brand that people have been trusting for years. These treats are available in four sizes for every type of dog. Three shapes of the treat are made so that it has the best chance to get in all the places of a dog’s mouth to help clean away the plaque and bacteria buildup.
The product is all-natural, GMO free, gluten free, has no colors or preservatives, and contains no grain. These are veggie treats though, so don’t look for these being packed with protein and other crucial ingredients your dog needs in their diet. They do contain a good amount of fiber for healthy digestive systems; and they make all their products in an eco-friendly manner with minimal to no environmental impact. These treats come in unique shapes like alligator, hedgehog, veggie sausage, ricebone, and stix (sticks).
- These treats work very well to freshen breath
- All-natural ingredients
- GMO free, gluten free, no colors/preservatives, and no grain
- High in fiber
- Unique shapes work to clean bacteria and plaque on gums and other hard to reach areas
- Veggie ingredients
- Made with the environment in mind
- Quite affordable and good value
- Do not contain meat or meat products
- Low in protein
Whimzees Original Pricing
- Small (56 Count) Variety Pack: $23.05
- Medium (28 Count) Variety Pack: $17.49
- Large (14 Count) Variety Pack: $22.08
Whimzees is a great company that makes great products for your dog. They truly care about all animals and continue to find better ingredients and better ways to make the products that are the healthiest for your dog. Although, if their products contained ingredients that could round out the overall health value of the treat, it would make the perfect dental treat.
Final Verdict: Whimzees vs Greenies vs Dentastix vs Merrick Fresh Kisses
Dental treats for your dog are important. Now you know which products are best suited to tackle the tough job of maintaining a dog’s oral health while also giving them added nutritional benefits. These treats should be part of a daily oral hygiene and feeding routine that keeps your pup as healthy as can be.